Sunday, September 11, 2011

Still Haven't Forgotten

I still haven't forgotten.

I know you haven't either.

I still haven't forgotton that September morning when our country changed forever.

I still haven't forgotton exactly where I was.

I was in 5th grade. Ms. G's homeroom. A 6th grader who had arrived to school late came through the halls shouting something about the World Trade Center being on fire. At first the teacher thought he was kidding. She said he was crazy.

And then she turned on the TV.

To this day, I have not forgotton the look on her face when she said "Oh my gosh, he's right".

For the rest of the day, we sat in silence, watching the news unfold.

When I got home from school, mom made me watch Nickelodeon because it was the only channel that wasn't showing news coverage.

Today, a decade later, I still haven't forgotton that day.

I know you haven't either.

Join me now and remember the men, women and children who lost their lives on that September morning.

9/11/01.
Never forget.

2 comments:

  1. I could not imagine what that would have felt like as a 5th grader. I was 27-years-old and had a hard time processing the news. I was holding my 9-month-old baby while watching the coverage. Now I teach 5th graders- Social Studies. I avoided the issue on Friday; I'm just not ready to discuss those events with children. The teachers who had to live through those events were very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Karen. I think one of the hardest parts for me was seeing the adults I loved (parents and teachers) so sad and scared. It was also hard thinking about all the kids my age that lost mommies and daddies on that awful day. I agree that the teachers were very, very brave.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete