Saturday, May 21, 2011

Super Summer Saturdays: A Destination

In this second edition of my Super Summer Saturdays series, I am going to tell you about one of my favorite places to go in the summer. Feel free to share your favorite destinations with me in the comments section!

Four hours north of me, located on its own penninsula along beautiful Lake Erie, you will find Heaven on Earth. Nowhere else on the planet will you find a theme park with more rides (75) or roller coasters (17). They don't call this place "America's Roller Coast" for nothing!

Yes, my friends, I'm talking about Cedar Point.

Cedar Point is one of the oldest amusement parks in the nation. It started as just a beach with a clubhouse and a few kiddie rides. Eventually, they added a roller coaster, The Switchback Railway. Who would have thought that that tiny (25 feet tall) little coaster would have paved the way for what is there now.

Today, Cedar Point holds the WORLD record for having the most rides AND roller coasters. Their roller coasters are world class, too. Take the Millenium Force for instance. When it debued in 2000, it broke an astonishing TEN world records  (tallest, fastest, first coaster to go over 300 feet, just to name a few). Today, it is still among the most popular on Earth. Every year, it has been either ranked as #1 or #2 steel roller coaster on the planet in the prestegious Golden Ticket Awards, which are basically the Grammys of the amusement park industry.

Speaking of the Golden Ticket Awards, did I mention that Cedar Point has won their "Best Amusement Park in the World" award for ELEVEN straight years? Yep, it's that good.

If you aren't into roller coasters, Cedar Point still has something for you. The 364-acre park is also home to four children's areas, two of which are Snoopy themed.  There's also a beach, a petting zoo and many live shows.

Cedar Point also has many on-site hotels. My personal favorite is the Hotel Breakers. It's beautiful!

Cedar Point is one of my favorite vacation destinations (second only to Disney World). I hope that you and your family have the chance to visit one day. For more information, you can visit them HERE.

I want to leave you with this picture, which was taken near the park's beach. If you look REALLY closely, you can see the hill from one of the roller coasters (Magnum XL 200) on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment