Monday, March 14, 2011

Dreaming

I love Disney. I love everything about it. I love the timeless movies that I grew up with. I love the adorable shows they have on television. I love the theme parks. And I love the way they make dreams come true.


I have been to this beautiful place three times. The first, I was only 3. I don't remember much. I remember the sandy beach at the beautiful Yacht Club Resort. I remember the ice machine at said resort. I remember hugging Mickey Mouse for the first time. I remember the playground. And I remember the Castle.

The second time I went, I was a junior in high school. We drove down (18 hours on a bus!) for spring break. It was a trip for band. We actually got to march in one of the parades. We marched the day after Easter, which is one of the busiest weeks for the parks. The place was packed. That is the biggest crowd we have ever performed for. We got so much applause when we danced. People like seeing dancing bands. And we danced. A lot. I loved seeing people's faces when they saw us! The next day, we had a workshop with one of the music directors who helps put the music to the movies. That was really fun too. Then we had the rest of the week to just hang out at the parks. We scoped out the characters first, of course. Pocahontas has always been one of my favorites!


That was one of my favorite weeks of all time. I mean, we were in Orlando with the best friends anyone could ask for. We got out of school for it. What more could you want? ;)

I went back to Disney last summer, with my parents. Yes, I had just turned nineteen. Too old?! Ha, you're funny! Going back to Disney as an adult was one of the greatest experiences ever. I appriciated it all so much more than I ever had before. I appriciated One Man's Dream, a beautiful and inspiring mini-museum about the life of the man who started it all. I appriciated the many, many hours of work that go into building those classic rides. And I appriciated the dream behind it all.

The dream that you're never old to dream. The dream that doesn't die out when you board the plane back home. The dream that doesn't care where you're from or how old you are or how much money you have.

The dream that maybe, for just a little while, magic exists.

The dream that even if only for a week, your worries can be put aside.

To focus on nothing but family, fun and magic.

The dream that you're never too old to dream.

The dream that gives you a little slice of heaven, here on Earth.

Walt's only dream was to make dreams come true. That dream is realized every second of every day in every area of the world.

And I think that's pretty cool.


This fireworks show brought me to tears. No lie. Want to know why? Because it made me feel like I was part of that dream.

Call me childish, odd or just downright crazy, but I'm kind of Disney obsessed. I can't wait to take my kids there one day and see the World through their eyes.

To see them be part of that dream too.

No comments:

Post a Comment