Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Three Little Letters

First, I want to apologize for the lack of updates. It's the last week of winter quarter classes at school so I have been pretty busy with final projects, papers and exams. I have some extra time tonight though (yay!) so I wanted to update. Did you notice the support buttons on the left sidebar? I just added them. The first two are prayer buttons for two amazing children, and the second is a link to Free Kibble which is a charity that donates food to homeless animals. If you go to their website and answer their question, whether you get it right or wrong, dog and cat food will lbe donated to animal shelters across the country. Oh and it was started by a 14 year old girl. Pretty cool!

On to the post...

Three letters. I never knew that three letters (and Greek letters at that) would change my life in so many ways.

Let me back up a little bit.

When I started college last year, I swore that I would never get involved in anything that had to do with college Greek life. I had heard so many horror stories about frat parties gone wrong, clique-y girls and hazing filled iniations. I swore that it wasn't for me.

And my whole first year of college was really, really lonely.

So, this fall, when I got a letter inviting me to join Kappa Delta Pi, I almost didn't join, but after reading about it, I reconsidered.

Kappa Delta Pi is an honor society for education majors. We are not a sorority and we do not have a house on campus. Every stereotype that I had about all things Greek have been proven wrong. We don't throw trashy parties, either.

Wanna know what we DO do?

I'm so glad you asked.

We do a lot of community service in local schools (family fun night, anyone?) and we have frequent guest speakers who talk to us about job searcing, interviewing, professional interning and other professional development topics. I have gained so much knowledge about the field that I had no clue about before Kappa Delta Pi.

We get together after class too, for fun things like pizza nights and bowling. Last year I had NO social life. Seriously. When class was over, I came home. And I stayed home until the next day. It wasn't fun. This year, I actually feel like I have a circle of friends within my major. That makes me happy. I'm not lonely anymore.

Kappa Delta Pi makes me feel like I actually belong. I feel like I am part of somethign bigger than myself. I like that.

I swore when I started college that if an organization had Greek letters in its name, I would stay away. Little did I know that three little letters would change my life in so many ways.

KDP.

No comments:

Post a Comment